Thursday, February 09, 2006

Throwback Thursday! A Special Tribute to SMOOK!


Ok...first off I apologize for the lack of posts...been an insane month! Running 2 different series can be a nightmare! Anyways...I was diggin thru some old design binders of mine on the weekend and came across a whole whack of super-quick post-it sketches by my friend Smook! ( Red Dot Blog). Back in 1997, I was a designer on 'Sam & Max', and Smook was our board artist. Whenever he handed in a board it would contain quick post-it sketches of me. One...then two...then 10...eventually there were complete storylines!! It was hilarious/aggravating! This went on for months until, apparently, I was having a bad day and told him to "draw someone else!" ! Instead of stopping and following my advice, Smook made mt outrage the next storyline in his thumbnails! HAHAHAH. From then on the post-its were always super-fast thumbnails of me gettin angry, blowing up etc etc, and then Mike quitting doing boards. It was hilarious! This post above is an excerpt from a storyline of about 50 post-its of me exploding, Smook quitting boards, and then years later I see him on the street...a shattered man! I know after 10 years Mike will hate me for posting these, but I just had to share them with everyone. They are so loose and quick, and always made me laugh! Don't ever change Smook! ( even though I now have a complex because of you! )

11 Comments:

Blogger kevin micallef said...

HAHA..Awesome!That's great..funny back story. I'd just like to say.."It's been nice know'n ya Darin!"

7:06 AM  
Blogger MikeS said...

Just for this, the sketches might start back up with a vengeance!

7:18 AM  
Blogger willipino said...

hahaha... so funny. i love to piss people off like this. great drawings!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Steve Daye said...

ZZ Top forever! HAHAHAHAHA! CRYIN'!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Perry Linton Joseph Osuna said...

That's some funny stuff man glad u did post it that smook quite the cut up dope made me laugh take care

8:51 AM  
Blogger MikeS said...

man those are just bloody awful.....AWFUL! Now I'm developing a complex.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Thorny said...

I have some post-it caricatures that Smook drew of me too -- back in the Stikin' Around days -- unfortunately they're a little ... um ... how shall I say? .... risque? I'd send them to you but I'd hate for you to have your blog pulled offline.

3:31 PM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

Hey man I have a SMOOK archive as well some drawing from our soccer days and I was ribbed for getting an odd baby blue color jeresy. hhmmm should I I have the live action photo to go with it

4:50 PM  
Blogger John S. said...

Funny! I love to hear behind the scenes goofing around stories. These are fun to look at.

12:56 AM  
Blogger SteveLambe said...

Ha...priceless. Every production needs a show diary or yearbook of the people that work on it. So many great caricatures and sketches get lost in time.

That's why it's so damn cool that you keep these.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cool drawings!! SO much humor and energy in them! :)

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home