Tuesday, January 24, 2006

4th Helping of 3D! - MORE NERDLORE!


Here is another model I did in preparation for a job at Rhythm and Hues in 2001. It actually helped land me an interview, which in turn got me a gig there. Lotta fun and a great place to work. Anyhow, with this model I wanted to design something reminiscent of the famous '2001: A Space Odyssey' ship. Loved that movie as a kid so I thought I'd take a crack at it. I was never truly happy with this model. I ran outta time with it to be honest, and always felt like it was about 80% there. Not sure what else I would have done to enhance or add to it, but a model like this requires about 3 or 4 days of patience due to the amount of detail and geometry. I don't know about you, but most things I design or draw lose my attention if I don't get my initial thought or inspiration out on paper fast. A model like this simply needs more work in terms of mentally 'making' yourself be motivated to push and revisit it...so after 3 days I left it as you see it. Not one of my best...but I thought worth a peek.

13 Comments:

Blogger kevin micallef said...

Darin.. I think it's fantastic!..wish I could learn to model..so jealous!

6:47 AM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

This is cool shit. did you reference all the detail for plating and rivets or is in from inside the coconut of yours.

7:37 AM  
Blogger MikeS said...

Cub has always had a brilliant coconut, Joe! I can't believe it's been that long since you were down there already. Sheesh.

Again, very nice detailing sir.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Steve Daye said...

The design gods are smiling! Wicked design!

8:45 AM  
Blogger BLOGGED ARTERY said...

thanks guys. all I can say is if ANY one of you want to learn this. I will make time to show you. All it is is patience and having good reference. To answer Joe's question...yes, most is from my head, but I did ref some old WW2 tanks. Like I said....you wanna know this...you know where I sit! Thanks again guys!

8:49 AM  
Blogger BLOGGED ARTERY said...

thanks drawn from life! I appreciate the kind words! Geez man...how many blogs you have? haha

6:14 AM  
Blogger Perry Linton Joseph Osuna said...

just wanted to stop by and say thanks again and the see if u posted any hot new work as yet..

10:22 PM  
Blogger hilda said...

hi just passing by

11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very coool model!! is that toon shading?

9:10 PM  
Blogger BLOGGED ARTERY said...

Hey Alina....not toon shaded...that is the model in grey with no textures as of yet. Just default grey geometry. thanks for stopping by!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Perry Linton Joseph Osuna said...

just want your expert input on some studies http://supportingstructure.blogspot.com/ just feel free to cut it up and give any advice please and thanks.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Perry Linton Joseph Osuna said...

Thanks for taking the time to stop by an leave such a kool comment it's appreciated

11:21 AM  
Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

Nice work and nice design !!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home